Go with the Flow
Now that I am comfortable saying that I have been practicing meditation for a while, I have found a few visualization techniques that work really well for me.
One day, I was sitting on the beach with my mother in law, and we were talking about the power of the ocean (as we often do). I closed my eyes as I was submerged up to my neck in the water and visualized the tide. The water flows around shells, rocks, and plants anchored in the sand, then returns to the depths. It always comes back - the rhythm is strong, but not exactly the same each time. It is an incredibly rejuvenating and calming experience, and I know that it is common to feel this way. I feel immense gratitude that I have such easy access to the ocean. Being in water is so powerful (…said every Pisces ever). Even when you aren’t physically around a body of water to dip your toes into the surf or feel the current of a river, you can use meditation to reap the benefits. Use this technique to mimic the natural rhythm happening within our bodies. Not only will this technique help to calm an overactive mind, but it also promotes stress relief.
Unlock inner peace and healing with this meditation technique
- Fill the image in your mind with flowing water.
- With each inhale, the tide flows up to the top of your head.
- With each exhale, the tide flows in the opposite direction down to your toes.
- The flow might slow down at times, but the tide never stops.
- Now imagine a rock sitting in the middle of your body, around your belly button. The rock is anchored there, the water flows right around it.
- Take a couple of deep breaths, focusing on the rushing water flowing around this rock or boulder.
- You can stay here with this portion of the visualization, or to take it one step further, find an area of your body that is feeling some pain or discomfort and imagine a rock or boulder there.
- Continue to breathe, drawing the water around the rock on the inhale, and back around it in the other direction on the exhale.
- Repeat this for a few minutes trying to keep this rushing water imagery in your mind. This imagery is symbolic of the infinite flow that moves through and around blockages in our lives.
Take this technique with you, and get ready to feel closer to a more peaceful and calm existence.