Following the solar plexus chakra, which we talked about a couple weeks ago, we have the heart chakra, or Anahata. This is the 4th main energy center in our bodies and is located in the center of the chest. The heart chakra is often referred to as our healing center. This chakra is our source of caring and compassion, of deep connection, kindness, generosity, altruism, and love. This love includes loving yourself, loving others, and recognizing the loving energy that ties us to everything in the universe. Anahata is where we can connect to that all-is-one energy, allowing us to see that I am the same as you are the same as him is the same as her.
Like all chakras, anahata can be blocked or unbalanced, or overly open. This is where so much hurt lives, and where healing is so important. When the energy of this chakra is stuck, it may lead to a lack of empathy, and an increase of judgment of yourself and others. You may avoid socializing and find yourself withdrawing from friends and/or family. If your heart chakra is overactive, this could result in overextending yourself emotionally to meet the perceived needs of others. Feeling like a victim as well as losing a sense of personal boundaries may also occur.
It feels as though the heart chakra of the universe is pretty far out of balance. Because I am the universe and so are you, we can help by connecting with and working on rebalancing our personal anahatas.
- Try to live your life from this center. This means consciously living from a place of love and compassion for all. Check in with yourself throughout the day and ask if you've been acting out of love for yourself and others.
- Meditate on this chakra. The color associated with the heart chakra is green. Imagine a green light turning on in the middle of your chest. This light starts to spin, opening your chakra.
- The element associated with anahata is air. Consciously take more breaths throughout the day. Notice the air you are breathing and the quality of your breath.
- The symbol for the heart chakra is this:
Draw this symbol and color it green.
- A mantra associated with this chakra: I have the right to love. I have the right to be loved.
- Make a list of the things your love about yourself. Make a list of the things you don't love about yourself. Think about this list! What are the reasons behind your choices?
- Hang out with plants. Plants always make me feel more connected with my heart center. They have such a loving relationship with the sun and water and respond so well to being nurtured and loved. Plus, they are often green. Plant something, lie in a green field, or visit a greenhouse.
- Again, live from a place of love! Look in the mirror and tell yourself "I love you." Do something for someone out of love. Say hello to a stranger, hold the door form someone, draw someone a picture, write someone a note. Anything you can do that will get you in touch with a loving energy, do it!