Last week we talked about the root chakra which is the first main energy center in our bodies. It is located at the root of the spine and sets the foundation for the other six chakras. Moving up from that grounded space we next come to the sacral chakra, or Svadhisthana, located a couple inches below your belly button.
While the first chakra focuses on feeling safe and survival needs, the second chakra is all about passion and creativity. This is the center of pleasure, emotion, sensuality, intimacy, and connection. A balanced sacral chakra will help improve any relationship, whether it's between you and someone else, or your relationship with yourself or the world.
Imbalances in this chakra are so common in today's society. Our culture both glorifies and admonishes sexuality, which is totally confusing and often leads to guilt, fear, and shame in people around their own desires. On top of that, feelings are not given the value they deserve. We are often taught to keep our feelings to ourselves, and not to get over emotional or passionate.
And yet I can't think of anything more human than feeling. Giving ourselves permission to express emotion, and to live through our sensations, allows us to be present and to connect.
This is the work of the sacral chakra. To remind us to feel in every moment, to create, create, create, and to form relationships grounded in trust and love.
An imbalance in this chakra may manifest in different ways. It could show up in relationships as co-dependancy. It may manifest as a dependency on a substance or person. Maybe you feel ruled by your emotions or the opposite, numb to emotion. It may present as an overactive or lacking sex drive. Or maybe you simply feel stuck in a mood or feeling and can't seem to shift it. Working on balancing your sacral chakra could help.
To balance, open, and deepen your Svadhisthana:
- The color associated with this chakra is orange. Try a sitting meditation and picture an orange light turning on in this center in your lower belly. Imagine this light starts to spin, activating this chakra's energy.
- Because this chakra is all about passion and creation, I think it's fun to do a moving meditation with it too. Try getting on your hands and knees (cat cow pose) and move your hips back and forth as you breathe deeply. Feel the energy moving in your body.
- Turn on some music and dance! Don't think too hard, just feel the music and move your body.
- The symbol for this chakra is a circle with a crescent moon:
Try drawing this symbol and coloring the petals orange.
- The element associated with the second chakra is water, reinforcing the fluidity of our emotions. Spend time in water. Swim in the ocean, a lake, a pool, or take a bath. Pay attention to the way the water makes your body feel.
- Pay attention to all of your senses! what do you hear when you first wake up in the morning? What smells are in the air as you walk down the street. What colors do you surround yourself with?
- Create! Draw, paint, write, cook, knit, dance.... do anything that makes you feel connected to yourself and the world.
Remember to always have compassion for yourself through the process of doing this work. A lot can be held by the sacral chakra. This is often where grief lives and emotional ties to past relationships. Be gentle with yourself and try to be comforted by the fact that working on ourselves is a lifelong deal. We can count on it, so building a practice that feels right for you is really so rewarding.