I recently started incorporating a chakra meditation into my routine. I've been feeling like there's some stuck energy that I'm wanting to move. Chakras are the centers throughout our body that energy flows through. There are seven main chakras which align the spine, starting at the base of the spine and flowing up through the crown of the head. Energy can get stuck, blocked, or out of balance in any of our chakras but there are simple things you can do to rebalance and realign the energy in your body.
With so much changing in my life right now, I've found it helpful to focus on my root chakra. This is always a good place to start when working with chakras because it's the first chakra and is the foundation for the other six energy centers in our body.
The root chakra, or Muladhara (Mula meaning "root" and Adhara meaning "base" or "support") is located at the base of the spine. It's associated with safety and stability, feeling grounded, balanced, and at peace.
Energy is always moving through our bodies but sometimes this energy gets stuck or blocked. An imbalance in your root chakra may manifest as anxiety, fear, or nightmares. You could also experience physical symptoms such as lower back pain, leg pain, or feet issues.
Sometimes blockages in the root chakra originate from our childhood. If we are still carrying feelings of insecurity or fear from experiences we had as children, we may feel safe now but still be energetically blocked.
So let's talk about how to move this energy and rebalance our root chakras!
- Meditation is always helpful for working with any or all chakras. The color associated with the root chakra is red. For this meditation find a comfortable seated position with your feet planted firmly on the ground. As you breathe, imagine a red light turning on at the base of your spine. Imagine this red light starts to spin. Meditate on this spinning red light to open your base chakra. Do this for as long as you want.
- The symbol associated with the first chakra is this:
Draw this symbol. Do it once or retrace it over and over as a meditation. Try drawing it in your mind or simply picture the image during a meditation. Color the petals red. Feel the energy of the symbol and color.
- The sound associated with the root chakra is LAM. Saying it just once a day can help you feel more balanced. Breath in deeply and say the sound as you exhale. Stretch the sound out, feel it's vibration through your body.
- Earth is the corresponding element of the Muladhara. If you are feeling unstable, anxious, or unbalanced, spend some time outside. Do some gardening, go for a walk, swim! If being outside isn't your thing, try to surround yourself with earth tones. Wear blue or green or brown. Let these colors ground you.
- A good mantra for this chakra is "I deserve to feel safe."
We can all benefit from feeling a little more grounded in a world that can feel so out of control. Balancing your energy is something you always have the power to control. You don't need anything extra to do it; just your body and your breath.